What is Hypertension?
Hypertension or high blood pressure is when the heart pumps blood through the arteries (large blood vessels) the blood presses against the walls of these vessels. When the pressure becomes too high it puts a strain on your arteries and your heart, which makes it more likely that you will suffer a heart attack, a stroke or kidney disease.
How is blood pressure measured ?
Blood pressure is measured in millimetres of mercury (mmHg) and it is recorded as two figures:
- Systolic pressure: the pressure of the blood when your heart beats to pump blood out
- Diastolic pressure: the pressure of the blood when your heart rests in between beats
Your GP could say your blood pressure is "140 over 90", or 140/90mmHg, it means you have a systolic pressure of 140mmHg and a diastolic pressure of 90mmHg.
The health range to be looking for would be "120 over 80". You are said to have high blood pressure if readings on separate occasions consistently show your blood pressure to be over 140/90mmHg or higher.
What causes high blood pressure?
Your chances of having high blood pressure increase as you get older. There is often no clear cause of high blood pressure but you are at increased risk if you:
- Are stressed. Do you have "pressure" in your life?
- Are overweight
- Have a relative with high blood pressure
- Are of African or Caribbean descent
- Don't eat enough fruit and vegetables
- Eat a lot of process food
- Eat a lot of salt
- Eat a lot of sugar
- Don't do enough exercise
- Drink a lot of coffee (or other caffeine-based drinks)
- Drink a lot of alcohol
- Are over 65
How can kinesiology help?
We focus on hydration levels and methods of reducing stresses, with an emphasis of balancing the thyroid gland.
We offer the body specific nutrients to help with circulation. The use of magnets also helps to correct the flow that the body needs, helping to reduce higher than normal blood pressure.